I just had to share some feedback I got on a short story today.
“One of your characters needs to be a redhead. You need more representation in your story.”
Okay that could be legitimate feedback unless you consider a few minor points
- About 3% of the world’s population are redheads and it feels like every second female UF protagonists. So I don’t really see under-representation as much of an issue.
- There are only two characters in this story. Again I should mention that 3% thing.
- At no point is either characters hair colour mentioned. You can make them whatever you want, it has no impact on the story.
- It is set in the middle east about 3,000 years ago.
- … you didn’t read it did you?